Friday, January 11, 2008

The good life

Has anyone else noticed that food prices are going up?

I realise that the price of oil rising will directly affect food prices.
The price of wheat has gone up. This means bread goes up and also meat as many cattle are grain fed. Ok, not so much here but in most other beef producing countries.

The rush to grow crops for biofuel also locks land up that may have been used for food production.

I don’t like it one bit.

I am going to grow my own vegetables this year, it will entail using over half the garden but the end result means that we shall be mostly self sufficient for vegetables by next winter.

I checked out the price of a site with planning permission….holy smoke!
Waaaaaaaay beyond my purchasing power. PPS14 has a lot to answer for.

A couple of acres is all I ask but it is not to be for the next year or so.
A permaculture approach will produce lots of interesting heirloom veg.

I’m going to have to buy another freezer and learn how to pickle things.
I’ve been practising on my liver but I have yet to put it in a jar.

6 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

I am lucky to have been offered a vegetable plot at Nelly's place this year. It will be good to move from growing veg in pots to having real earth to plant them in. I grew containers of spinach last year and, even though there wasn't much of it, it tasted wonderful.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

Soooo looking forward to it.

I have bought some seeds from Tamar organics and kokopelli and will also be trying realseeds.co.uk. They grow the stuff themselves and offer a moneyback guarantee if you sren't pleased with the flavour of the veg you grow! Now that is a guarantee.

I hope to grow some spinach as I love the stuff.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Manuel said...

I'm gonna grow chillis this year.....and maybe some toms too.....I'm really rather excited about it too

1:25 AM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

Manny, living where you do, paint the walls of your yard white if they aren't already. The plants will love it. When I lived in Belfast the yard was painted white and had a great microclimate. I grew rocket in a grow bag and had so much I didn't know what to do with it. I grew a passion flower vine that really thrived. i tried again when we moved but alas where I am now is much too cold for things like that. sigh.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muddy, have never even thought of growing my own veg, I'm too lazy to do anything but pop round to the shops. But I think food prices are still pretty low compared to other costs like fuel which are going through the roof. I think the real scandal is not retail food prices but the miserable prices paid to the suppliers who are often at the mercy of the all-powerful supermarkets.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

Nick, I couldn't agree more about the way the supermarkets treat their suppliers. For example-the bogof offers are funded by the supplier not the supermarket.
Fuel prices going up means everything else will follow suit.
Wheat harvests weren't so good last year so bread will go up.
Lots of land is being turned over to biofuel crops which means less land for food production.

I am rather idle when it comes to gardening but I want to get into producing my own food and saving seed as it will be good for me in so many ways. The tunnel frame being given as a gift has spurred me into action.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next