Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Stinky malinky

Mrs M and I visited St George's Market in Belfast last Saturday. Some aromatic Irish cheese was purchased. So aromatic, in fact , that it had to be kept inside two different types of containment.
Goodness knows how it would smell if it was off.

Last night we sampled it along with some chutney and bread and an olive or two. A glass or three of wine also.
Cratloe, Gubbeen, Daru and a cheddar I cannot remember the name of. Of course, I couldn't remember which was which. That was before the wine as well. I liked them all, though one of them, I'm thinking maybe the cratloe or the gubbeen perhaps had a very strong flavour indeed. One of them was softer than the other and had the stronger smell. I enjoyed them, there is still plenty left, but not of the cheddar, Mrs M liked it very much.

I thought that if we didn't sit down and make a meal of it we wouldn't really eat much of it.
I have myself a little lunch planned for the weekend whilst Mrs M is off gallivanting.

It made me realise that the plastic wrapped cheese we buy from supermarkets is pretty much that, plastic. Still, it has it's place. I can't imagine eating a cheese roll with the hard cheddar we bought. I might try one of them in some cooking a la Cafe Paradiso in Cork. I did say try, my cooking is nowhere near that level of expertise. It never will be as I don't like the idea of being a kitchen worker. I wouldn't like the hours.

I had some real coffee for the first time in over three months on Saturday too. I bought some Captain Cooks coffee from SD Bell's stall in the market. Verrrry dark roast, some might say burnt.

I had one cup at 8pm on Saturday night and it was really nice.

I went to bed at 3am.

Blinkin' blimey flip !

I swear I was clenching my teeth.

....and you can buy this stuff over the counter?

Yow.

I'm saving it for weekend use only, roll on the weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

I'm getting some of that. I'd say the comedown would be easier on the ol' mind and bod.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

I had a few cups of it on Saturday. A bit hectic it was.
No comedown thankfully.
Great stuff !

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next