Sunday, April 08, 2007

Old father time

Well, it is my birthday and I am 38 today.

I nearly killed myself yesterday dissembling a hedge in the front garden.
While there was a meeting of bloggers in bilfast, I was sweating in the sun, cursing and generally getting rather annoyed with a hedge that had roots that seemed to emanate in all directions.
First my secateurs fell to pieces in my hands after clipping two branches. Goddamn cheap shite.
That'll larn me, eh?

A knife I keep for gardening ( a Frost/Mora for those who are interested ) was then used.
It kinda slowed things down a bit. I had to fill 5 of those big garden waste bags with hedge bits. Took me hours.....
Then I had to get the axe (Gransfors bruks Forest axe) out to beat the stump into submission. I wasn't about to let it get the better of me.
Chopping done it was then time to get the stump out.
That is when I discovered the root system,well, after I had worked all the way round it with a garden fork and it wouldn't budge.
I spent at least 45 mins cutting those damn roots.

Finally the thing came out. Yaaaaaaay.
A tidy up and job done.

Felt good.

Today I feel like I have been beaten with sticks.

What a way to feel on your birthday.

Mrs M is busy downstairs cooking the next course of a wonderful 3 course meal.
I shall be posting pics of the food tomorrow. I got some fab presents too.
A book of photographs by John Sexton and a book of rainforest photographs by Thomas Marents ( I missed a calling, I really did....). I also got a framed print of John Coltrane to hang on the wall in the study, niiiiiiiice. Some clothes, always a good thing for a clothes shopaphobic like myself and a bay tree. Fresh bayleaves, magic.

Oh, yeah I can now afford to go and get a wideangle zoom for my D200.

Heh, lens or laptop? I need the lens more than the laptop.

I will be ordering the lens this coming week.

Happy birthday to me !!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Nelly said...

Happy Birthday Mudflapgypsy. Sorry I didn't greet you on the day but I'm behind with my blogreading.

I think you spent the day admirably well. As you know I totally approve of gardening-related activities.

As for blogmeets - I think it is time we organised a Ballymena-based one. Maybe autumn?

9:20 AM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

My hands are still sore after that gardening outburst.

I will have to go to the next blogmeet, destination wherever. I don't mind.

Cheers Nelly.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post... reminds me it's time to get Grumpy Old Man out into our garden!!
Anyway, wishing you a belated happy birthday and many more to come...
BTW, I tried to find your Flickr pics but had no luck... any chance you could post your link, please?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

Cheers, Sinead.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drbimages

Copy and paste, cannae do html yet.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next