Saturday, November 03, 2007

Mouldy old dough

I took yesterday off and didn't do too much other than a few household chores and make a loaf.

I had to use what flour I had so the loaf ended up being 700 grams white flour, 200 grams rye flour and 100 grams wheat flour.
I would normally go for more wheat than rye but I only had 100 grams of wheat flour left.

2/3rds of Led Zeppelin III later and I had some good (organic) dough to be put into the tin to prove.

I punched it down after about an hour and a half and let it prove for another 45 minutes or thereabouts.
Pre heated the oven to 220 C and put the dough in and turned the oven down to 200. 35 minutes later I took it out and tapped the bottom to see if it was ready. Always a risky business this as handling the tin and the loaf with oven gloves means the risk of dropping the lot or getting my arm singed.

No inadvertent self harm and my loaf went on to the rack (bread torture, moi?).

Mrs M and I just had some for lunch.

The verdict?

Fucking marvellous and really tasty.

I love making bread. It has taken me 4 years to get it right everytime.

My Dad started it and got it right everytime from the get go
He used a dough hook on a mixer, I knead by hand.
.

Jammy beggar.
I have the moral highground though he makes bread that is truly fantastic

4 Comments:

Blogger Manuel said...

I've tried to make bread several times and always made nothing more than a mess. Fair play n all that......Led Zep, nice.......

1:15 PM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

It was a long journey for me but well worth it.

Some of the earlier attempts were inedible. For instance, dough not rising, not kneading it enough, not letting it prove properly and following a Jamie Oliver recipe which used an oz of salt. I thought that a bit much and reduced it to 3/4 oz.

That boy's taste buds are fucking dead.

I had to throw it out as it was too damn salty.
Inedible.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

My Dad won a prize for his bread at a State Fair in the 1960's - it was so odd that a man woudl win a blue ribbon for baking, they did a story about him in the local paper. His bread is/was THE BEST and none of us (4) ever learned how to make it.... I'm pretty sure we broke his heart.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

'boxer, baking cakes is science making bread is art.

I can make edible bread that I am happy to eat but to be able to win at a state fair...your Dad is an artist indeed.

I have yet to venture into making my own starters for sourdough etc I have only been using packet dried yeast. I am a mere novice on the road to enlightenment.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next