Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Food, shelter, heat and the doom that beckons

Anyone else keeping an eye on how much you don't get for your pound anymore?

With the rise of fuel prices everything else is going up. Wheat harvests aren't so good, so wheat products have gone up. With all the flooding in Iowa and the other big corn producing states the maize crop this year is not going to be very large. Australian wheat prodcution is way down because of their ongoing drought. Soft drinks and snacks that use high fructose corn syrup will go up in price but I see that soft drinks manufacturers are investigating other sweeteners such as stevia. Cutting costs to maximise profits or getting away from bad publicity surrounding HFCS, or both?

I saw a bar of chocolate in Lidl go up nearly 50% in price in a few weeks (the one with chopped hazelnuts in - a dirty secret no longer). I have seen pitta bread go up in price in the big supermarkets, these are things that I have noticed, I suppose I should start to pay attention to other items as well.

Time to start buying a few well dated cans of food, bags of pasta and bags of rice when you go food shopping to build up a little food stash to last a week or two. A camping gas stove and a bottle or two of gas if your cooker is electric might also be a good idea. Pack away a box of cheap candles and a packet of lighters. Get a water butt or two or stack away a few flats of bottled water.

Haha, I sound like a crackpot. If only I had the luxury of being so.
They are talking of inflation at 4% today.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Supermarket prices are certainly shooting up. I'm just glad I hardly use the car and don't have a mortgage. A lot of people have been hit by so many price rises they're seriously struggling but dear Gordon seems pretty unconcerned. And MPs are asking for a 21% pay rise. The government is way out of touch with ordinary people and how they live.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

Nick: Lucky you to be mortgage free.
The mortgage companies are already announcing rate rises and they will only increase over the next year or so.

I would wager that those in power don't give a stuff about us and that they are only out for themselves.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Manuel said...

I rent and don't drive, I rarely booze, and don't live on the high street......I'm good for a while......saying that if people stop going out to eat I'm screwed.....

12:46 PM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

The luxury market will take the hit first Manny. I'd be thinking of a sideline if'n I was you. Always pays to have a plan B.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next