Thursday, January 29, 2009

Could cause injury

I have been confined to barracks since Sunday as I have injured my back. My work does entail lifting things on occasion and some of these things may be in awkward places and weigh quite a bit. I lifted something that should take two people last week. It took a few days but on Sunday morning whilst spooning some sugar into a cup of tea something went twang in my lower back and I have been a shuffling wincer ever since. I knew too much sugar wasn't so good for me but bloody hell!

I attended a manual handling refresher course last week and the irony isn't lost on me at all.

My back is on the mend, thankfully. Apart from two last Sunday night to be able to sleep, I haven't taken any painkillers . They only mask the pain and give a false sense of security. The last thing I wanted was to think I had freedom of movement again and then be crippled when the meds wore off.

I plan to be back in work next week and I won't be lifting anything for a while.

Currently listening to the Clash's first album on Spotify. Ah, lost youth....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, spoons these days, they weigh a ton, you should have been more careful. Seriously, the pain must be nasty, I hope you're better soon. I've never had any trouble with my back but my knees are a bit twingy sometimes. Lucky they don't yet stop me trudging up Slieve Donard.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Mudflapgypsy said...

The pain is fading, thankfully. Turning in bed is a killer, it feels like something very sharp being jammed into the lower back eliciting a yelp, no less. Say no to heavy spoons, I say.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Northern Irish bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next